Category Archives: SevenDayDoctor

Paramedic community and membership

If you are interested in getting information to school leavers age children then we do have a standard response which we email out to anyone who enquires and which contains information on how to train and what qualifications you need to become a paramedic.


If you need any further information please don’t hesitate to contact me again.


Soma Eatwell

CPD & Events Officer



The Exchange, Express Park, Bristol Road, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 4RR

Tel: 01278 420014

Registered Charity number 1164445

Thank you for contacting the College of Paramedics.


The recommended route to become a paramedic is to complete a university qualification in Paramedic Science (or equivalent). For more information on these universities and the courses they offer, including entry requirements, please search on (the website for all universities in the UK).


To work as a paramedic in the UK, you need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) so it is important, before you apply for any higher education course, that you check the course is on the HCPC education providers list. A full list of approved programmes leading to eligibility for paramedic registration can be found at The HCPC Standards of Education and Training (2009) currently sets the entry level to the register at ‘equivalent to Certificate of Higher Education for Paramedics’.


Degree programmes are three years in duration and students undertake academic study in each year at the following levels:


  • 120 credits Level 4 – Certificate
  • 120 credits Level 5 – Diploma
  • 120 credits Level 6 – Degree


Paramedic Science programmes that comply with the HCPC academic entry level are:

Foundation Degree (FD or FdSc) in Paramedic Science or Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) in Paramedic Science

These full-time programmes are generally two years duration and academically equate to Level 5. In year one students undertake academic study and vocational placements at Level 4. In year two, they continue the academic study and vocational placements at Level 5.


Bachelor of Science (BSc) or Bachelor of Science with Honours, BSc (Hons)

These full-time programmes are generally three years duration and include academic study and vocational placements at Level 4 in year one, academic study and vocational placements at Level 5 in year two, and finally academic study and vocational placements at Level 6 in year three.


A guideline to entry requirements vary according to the university so we do advise that you contact your chosen university to check their entry level requirements. Typical requirements are five GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English language or literature, mathematics and a science (single or double) or equivalent, plus either 120 points from GCE/VCE A-Levels or BTEC National qualifications.


We would also advise that it may help your application when applying to a university, if you have experienced working with the care profession either on a voluntary or employed basis.


Most universities require that you hold a full UK driving licence by the time you attend the interview stage, and it is worth knowing that some employers may request that you hold a C1 driving licence. If you have specific health or disability questions, it is worth contacting your local ambulance service to ask them directly about your employability. You can find your local ambulance service on


Becoming a Member of the College of Paramedics

Once you have been accepted onto a recognised Paramedic Science course, you will be eligible to become a Student member of the College. To view the benefits and to register to become a Student member please visit the College website On successful completion of your course and registration with the HCPC you will be able to upgrade from Student to Full membership. Again, please refer to the College website for details on both memberships.


Alternative Career within the Care Profession

Paramedic is often the first profession that people think of in the field of urgent and emergency care, but please remember there are many other careers within the care profession. To find out more about these, please see the NHS careers website or contact your local ambulance service.


For more information on how to become a paramedic and how to register to be a member of the College, please take a look at our website


We hope the above information helps you with your career path but please do contact us again if you have any specific questions.


Kind regards

Micheala Ham

Membership Administrator

Tel: 01278 420014



The Exchange, Express Park, Bristol Road, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 4RR

Registered Charity number 1164445